Sunday, January 6, 2008

Going Green, a little bit at a time



Okay, I'm going to stand on my soapbox for a few minutes.

After doing some cleaning and throwing things in our recycle bin, I couldn't believe how many catalogs we get each week. I'm talking at least 7 or 8 a week. I don't shop from a catalog - I'm an online shopper. But the by-product of my online shopping is getting put on companies' mailing lists, which then sends my information to other companies (although I always mark not to send my info - does this always happen? I don't think so.)

Today, I found a website that will hopefully help reduce the number of catalogs we receive. It is called Catalog Choice, and it is a FREE service that will contact companies that you don't want to get catalogs from anymore. You select which ones you want to keep getting, and which ones you don't need anymore. I am going to make an effort to enter in all of the catalogs I get this month in order to save a tree! How about you?

1 comment:

Snowflowers Mum said...

good idea...catalogs frustrate me no end...while I enjoy the quarterly 'room & board' furniture catalog (if I must imagine being stylish, I will do it through osmosis!)...and drool over the cookware in the Williams Sonoma catalog...but many of the others are just unecessary. We are trying to reduce our carbon footprint which isnt actually too bad, but there's always room for improvement. I know we are doing okay when our trash can has one bag of trash at the end of the week and our recycle bin is overflowing with bottles, papers, cans etc.